Skip Navigation Links
Citizen Services
County Agencies
Find It Here
Visitor Info
Building Inspections Home >> Development Services Division >> Planning and Building Services >> Building Inspections

The purpose of the Building Department is to receive applications, review construction documents, and issue permits for the erection, alteration, demolition, and moving of buildings and structures. It is the responsibility of the Building Department to inspect and enforce the provisions of the International Building Code. The intent of the Jasper County Building Department is to ensure safety, health, and general welfare to the citizens of Jasper County through structural strength, means of egress, stability, sanitation, adequate light, ventilation, energy conservation, and safety to life and property from fire and other hazards attributed to building throughout the County. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When is a building permit required?
A. A building permit is required for new construction, additions, alterations, repairs, electrical, plumbing, installation of heating and air systems as well as porches, decks, garages, sheds and accessory structures.

Q. When is a building permit not required?
A. An accessory structure that is less than 120 square feet, repairs that are less than $1000.00 in value and a fence that does not exceed 6 ft. tall.

Q. What is required for permits?
A. Residential permits require a zoning permit, a septic permit or sewer letter, 911 address, a set of plans and contractor information such as their name, address, phone number and license number.
A. Commercial permits require all of the above as well as an engineered site plan, letters from utility providers and letter from OCRM (a division of DHEC).

Q. Where do you obtain these items required for permitting?
A. Zoning Permit will come from Jasper County's Planning Department.  
A. Septic Permit will come from The Department of Health and Environmental Control. Their phone number is 843-726-7792. Where there is sewer available you may contact BJWSA at 843-987-9200. A 911 address may be obtained from Jasper County Emergency Services, contact person is Georgia Delaoch, her phone number is 843-726-7606.

Q. How much do the permits cost?
A. Mobile home permits are $100.00. Residential permits and Commercial permits are based on the square footage and the type of construction.

If you have any code questions or would like to purchase any codebooks, you may want to check out the international code council’s website @